New MRC LMB Building
The MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology is a leading world class research laboratory in the heart of Cambridge. It is dedicated to researching and understanding the importance of biological processes that occur at a molecular level. It is the modern birthplace of molecular biology and many of today’s scientific techniques were pioneered here such as DNA sequencing.
The research helps tackle many of the world’s problems in human health and diseases. This only intensifies the importance of ensuring that the furnishing provisions are of the highest quality, providing reliability for the research team.
On this project we were tasked with supplying and installing 440 specially designed dry laboratory benching furniture pieces for the new MRC LMB facility in Cambridge on the Addenbrookes hospital site.
Opened by Her Majesty the Queen on 23th May 2013, the institute’s new £212 million building provides better facilities and equipment for the 600+ scientists and support staff employed there.
The project comprised of:
- Bespoke design of Dry Lab Write Up Areas using Autodesk Inventor for the initial design concept, this was then transferred to our production software for actual production of the concept.
- A series of sample benches were produced for the client to allow them to decide upon the final design.
- Manufacture and Installation of Write Up Areas
- A spares kit was also provided allowing quick and easy changeover of panels if required by their on-site maintenance staff.
- The Manufacture and installation was completed within the 8 week time scale required.
We were honoured to be asked to be part of this great project, working on such an important site which has contributed so much to the world of molecular biology over the years. And we are positive our furnishings will help the skilled research teams of the laboratory continue to make great scientific breakthroughs.